Although not as prevalent as conventional roofing materials such as shingles, metal roofing, and slate tiles, copper roofs are still a viable choice for any residential house and commercial building. Most homeowners have praised copper roofs for being durable and long-lasting while contributing to the overall lifespan of the house’s foundations.
Copper is a widely known element that has been used by architects for centuries as a building material. Most architectural marvels have a copper roof protecting them from the different forces of the weather.
Copper Roof Cleaning
Copper is known for being one of the most abundant resources on the planet, but like every other element and mineral, it does erode over time when in contact with water and air. As years will go by, your copper roof will lose the shine that it had when you first installed it. There are several products and chemicals that you buy from your local builder’s depot that can restore your copper roof to its original glory. Usually, many individuals can do this work by themselves, but it is still highly recommended to have a licensed professional doing the work for you.
Copper Roof Pros
- Durability – The durability and longevity of copper roofs far surpass those that are found in conventional roofs.
- Fire-resistant – Of course, since copper is a metal, it is impervious to fires and can easily hold its ground against extreme heat and low temperatures.
- A minimal amount of maintenance – Copper roofs have been specifically designed to last a long time. With over a lifespan of 60 years, a copper roof can stand against rainstorms, strong winds, and heavy snowfall for a long time. Homeowners have to still be aware that being low maintenance does not mean that their copper roofs should be neglected. If ever there are signs of roof damage, it is best to contact a professional roofer like New Rochelle NY.
- Light-weight – Although not necessarily an advantage or a disadvantage, being light-weight means that copper roofs can be easily installed and replaced without roofing specialists expending time and energy.
- Architectural – Copper roofs are constantly being sought-out by exterior designers and contractors for having a versatile motif that can easily go well with any architectural style.
- Recyclable – Copper is known for being recyclable. If ever you want to replace your roof, you will have the peace of mind knowing that you are not just throwing away materials that can damage the environment, but you are helping the environment by putting your obsolete roof to good use.
Copper Roof Cons
- Hefty price tag – Copper roofs are one of the more expensive roofing materials that you will encounter in the market. As expected, having a more hefty price tag means that it has more quality and durability. But before you do make any rational decisions on buying any materials, it’s best to consult your roofing contractor first.
- Uncommon material – One of the reasons why copper roofs are expensive is that it is hard to come by. If you search long and hard, you’ll be able to find the right copper roof. Having a professional roofing contractor with many connections can help you find a copper roof easily.
Installation and Costs
When installing or repairing a copper roof, there are three types of materials that are used:
- Pre-measured panels – These are pre-made panels that have been measured and manufactured for your roof.
- Cut shingles – These are pre-made shingles that have to be individually fastened on roof sheathing.
- Riveted panels – compared to pre-measured panels, these panels are individually cut and manufactured and have to be riveted in place. In most cases, this is used for more industrial buildings and structures.
Since copper roofs are not easy to come by, they are infamous for being expensive. However, the prices of for each square foot is dependent on the quality of the material. The market will have a minimum average price of $4 per square foot for the lowest quality and $15 per square foot for the highest quality.
Overall, a copper roof can offer a variety of different advantages that outweigh the disadvantages of your roof. Unlike other roofing materials, the copper roof is built to last you for 60 years and skilled roofing specialists can guarantee you that it takes little to no maintenance and preservatives to keep it in pristine condition. However, homeowners have to still keep in mind that the quality and durability of the material is something that has to be invested. Sure, cheaper materials might save you some money, but in the long-run, these materials can deteriorate without proper supervision. Copper roofs might be expensive but they are worth it in the long-run.
If you’re not sure if you want to use copper roofs or where to find roofing materials for copper roofs, then you can commission the services of a professional roofing contractor to handle your roofing New Rochelle NY that can offer their services in installing your copper roof, acquiring the necessary materials, roof replacements, and of course, extensive repairs and inspections.